If you’re considering adding a rocking chair in your living room, it’s important to know the distinctions between the different types. It turns out that not all rockers are created equal, and some might be better than others, depending on your needs. For example, if you would like to recline and relax or sleep in your chair, you should go with a glider; however, if you want to sit up while rocking, an old-fashioned wooden rocker might be the better option. To help make this decision easier for you, let’s take a quick look at the pros and cons of each type of chair so you can choose the best option!
Glider Chair Advantages:
Glider chairs have a very smooth gliding motion so you can recline and relax without having to rock back and forth.
- If you want a chair that will give your lower body a workout, this is the right choice for you because it requires more effort than the regular rocking chair. Gliders are perfect for pregnant women or those trying to regain their pre-baby figure.
- They generally have a more prominent seat size than rocking chairs, so they are suitable for bigger people or those who need more space.
- Usually, gliders come with a matching ottoman which makes it easy to put your feet up and relax.
- They move in a motion suitable for people who have trouble standing or with balancing their body.
- If you want to nap in your chair, a glider is a better choice because you will be able to lean back and rock slowly until you fall asleep.
Glider Chair Disadvantages:
- Glider chairs don’t have the same range of movement as rocking chairs.
- If you are trying to work through back stiffness, then the tiny, backwards and forward motions required for regular rocking might be better.
- Some people find that gliders can cause aches in their arms because your muscles have to work a bit harder to keep you in balance.
- They can be more expensive than regular rocking chairs.
Rocking Chair Advantages:
- Rocking chairs are generally less expensive than gliders.
- Have a very smooth, calming rocking motion that many people find soothing.
- Do not require as much effort to rock back and forth
Rocking Chair Disadvantages:
- Usually, they have slimmer armrests which means it’s not as easy to relax in them for an extended period.
- Most rocking chairs only recline a few degrees, which may not be enough for some people.
- May be less comfortable than gliders if you are looking for a chair to relax in because they tend to be more upright.
- Don’t usually come with ottomans as standard as gliders do.
- Generally have a smaller seat size that might not be suitable for everyone.
So, which chair should you buy? The best answer is to try them both out and see which one you prefer. If you’re looking for a chair that’s good for multiple purposes, go with the glider because it’s likely more versatile. However, if you’re not sure either way, it’s always good to go to your local Amish furniture store and try out both options.